Saturday, September 8, 2018

Why Design Thinking can Transform Learning Experiences

I design learning experiences for a living, and more often than not, I have created fun, engaging, and effective learning solutions. Then, a few years back, specifically, in 2015, I was discussing some creative learning solutions currently in the market with my colleague and I had a realization. Most of my learning in the past year has been from YouTube, Google, and LinkedIn posts from my peers.
My colleague and I realized that the way humans learn has drastically changed-adults and children alike. It's Just-In-Time and On-demand learning, essentially, the everyone was saying "I will learn how I want, where I want, and when I want".

I wondered if the current learning programs are taking into account this dynamic choice-driven learner, and again, through the loop of Google searches-I landed on Design Thinking. My readings were mostly about centered around on how design thinking has transformed products and services. In my head, Design Thinking had the ability to bridge the gap between the  needs of a dynamic learner and the business. Why did I feel Design Thinking had the answers? Simply because, the first step of design thinking is to SPEAK TO THE PEOPLE WHO MATTER-this includes the end user and the project sponsor, the amazing people who will fund the learning solution. The first step of approaching the end user and other stakeholders with an empathetic approach, with an intent to listen, understand their journey, and a non-judgmental perspective on the problem is what convinced me to learn more about design thinking.

While I am yet to apply complete design thinking approach to a problem-the first step of empathetic interviews with my stakeholders about a learning challenge has helped me discover perspectives that I wouldn't have had otherwise, including finding suitable learning solutions. More on that later-thanks for reading. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment