Wednesday, August 29, 2018

Are we too much dependent on Salary? Have we built a system that runs with Salary Alone? Am I going to be salaried till I die?

Friends, many of us in early 40s and many time the question crosses our mind is are we going to be working for ever for salary and wait for the salary credit message to mobile by month end ?  What happens if I don't get a month salary ?  EMI, X..Y..Z.. payments ? wah... head spinning :-) Am I a CEO material to grow endlessly (is it so) ? Am I important to an organization if I'm not growing further? Am I in the JIT production line of Axing like old trees!!!  Do I need to act as a leader even if I'm different ...  Gurus says we'll have to reinvent ourselves every decade and try to do something new to keep us curious and going? Am I not taking risk to do the one I'm passionate about? Is it called mid life crisis?

Me to churning it all for a while till I got some enlightenment in my early 40s... 

If (none of the question above interests you)
then
     return;
else
     go to MyPerspective;

MyPerspective

It is unfortunate that many of us narrow our wisdom to experiment and experience to the work and stick to the outcome called salary for years during our young and energetic phase of life.  Keep increasing our commitment based on salary and keep our risk appetite low so never think of anything beyond..  The enlightenment happens only post 40s when we already lost good number of years...

I can hear your mind voice... Oh man, we all know that.. what do you want to suggest here... I'm not going to propose something big... I'm just going to say few simple steps... You no need to be super rich.. no need to be smart... no need to have lot of free times...  no need to be settled in life...

All what we have to do is start certain experiments based on your ideas/interests as early as possible, if possible even during your schooling...

I'm good at art... can I perfect this skill and start doing interior design, freelance art work...?
I'm good at talking... Can I perfect this skill and become freelance/part time RJ or VJ....?
I'm good at convincing people... Can I perfect this skill and become a part time/freelance marketer?
I'm good at cooking... Can I perfect this skill and become a part time/freelance chef/cook/own a small restaurant?
I'm good at application development.. Can I do freelance application development?
I'm good at writing.. Can I write blogs/books/social media articles?
I'm good at farming.. Can I do/teach terrace garden or take up part time farming?
I have spare land... Can I grow trees there...
I'm good at something.. Why don't you become trainer/consultant?

etc..

etc..

All these you can do when you are working for bread and butter.. but the key is don't break... start  it as early as possible and keep doing it....  if you are good at many don't mind picking up 2 or 3 interest areas to pursue...

Everyone is good at one or other thing other than doing job, all it needs is perseverance and commitment to keep doing it....

You may be surprised what happens by doing it...  Yes my friend, this is where the crux to get away from all the worries pointed out in the first paragraph..

Here you are nurturing the passion.. perfecting a skill of your interest.... it is not too far, you will start earning from it too if you can make a business model out of it...

I'm passionate about trees...  In last 1 year I have grown my mini forest of multi variety tree... I'm passionate about healthy eatable products.... I have started a small shop of natural and traditional products with likely minded people.... I'm confident of my tree farm becoming rich source of earning... I'm confident of my venture with friends becoming big FMCG brand...  For all these I haven't spent in crores.. haven't taken big loans... don't spend much time.. all with small saving I had and from shelling out some portion or the salary.... 

Such small positive steps helps you to build confidence in you that your job is not all about your life... life is beyond job and the interests beyond can become your business or money earning aid...

Job has it's own instability... during difficult time the interest you developed outside job would definitely helps you to withstand...  You will not worry of what happens if I loose Job..  Who knows you may quit the job and become a successful entrepreneur...


All what you need is.. identify your skill... perfect your skill.. nurture it with perseverance and commitment.. make a business model.... make it repeatable... keep you away from worries... become an entrepreneur...  above all be happy about life....

It is just my view... I believe there is nothing right or wrong or always perfect... appreciate your views and success stories...

Thanks...

Mohan....





1 comment:

  1. Like it Sir... ! I will also plan , while i have good opportunity and make utilize the same.

    ReplyDelete