Friday, March 9, 2018

Everyone is an innovator !


Innovation as a word can create confusions in many people's minds and have a feeling that it is for intellectuals. That is a myth that needs to be busted. Everyone is an innovator. In fact innovation keeps happening without one knowing that they are an innovator.

 The fundamental thing one needs to understand is that Innovation happens when you look at solving a challenge faced. Example of a challenge can be in our day to day work that we go about. How can I improve my quality of deliverable? First thing to do is what am I doing as part of my work and what help do I seek to get the quality verified. Do I get called by my peers for review of quality? Is this something that can be referenced as a good practice that can be adopted by everyone in the team which will lead to consistent quality across all the team members? Can we bring predictability based on repeated approach?

 If the answer is Yes, then you have achieved Innovation in your area of work. We can always start with addressing challenges however small they are in nature and get towards a better tomorrow.

Innovation will kindle the energy dormant in every individual and having your curiosity quotient high and help keep your work place and surroundings enjoyable.

As I close my blog I would like to throw up one use case of automating Unit testing. We have recommendations of tools like NUnit, JUnit for unit testing which will help the developers ensure better coverage of their user stories and at the same time bring up the efficiency of their work. We can definitely look at improvement of at least 5 - 10% improvement in productivity.
 
I did refer to the blog on the importance of innovation
http://www.paggu.com/getting-into-roots/what-is-innovation-why-innovation-is-important/
 

 

3 comments:

  1. Nandu, I like the example of improving product quality - something most working professionals can relate to. Also the use case of automating unit testing is good. Perhaps the next blog can present pros and cons of a few unit testing frameworks to take that challenge further.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree that there is no age, gender, demography required to innovate. Everyone can innovate. I'd love to see some exceptional examples of innovation that particularly interest you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nandu, Nice take on innovation.. especially the list of challenges you mentioned.

    ReplyDelete